Thursday, January 13, 2011

Until spring...

I was so excited to have my parents here; my dream had come true. I always wanted my children to grow up with grandparents nearby and when my parents said that they were coming to stay I thought I had won the lottery. I really don't know how it is to win the lottery since I've never played but I imagine you would be pretty excited. Even though I knew how wonderful it would be to have them here I also knew how hard it is to adjust to a new culture. I struggled with the language for many months when I moved to the USA. There were days when I would try to speak English and I could see on everyone's faces that they could not understand me. It was so frustrating! I also remember how all the food tasted sweet including the bread. It was hard but I was young and very in love and that helped in overcoming many of the cultural differences. I hoped that my parents would adjust just as I did but I was wrong. My mom did great since this was her third trip to the States but my dad struggled with everything. Most of all not being able to communicate in English. Without communication skills jobs were hard to find for them. They stayed a little over one month with us and then they returned to their house in Spain. It was so hard on everyone and it involved many tears, hugs and kisses. I had this feeling that I was carrying a rock in my stomach for days. After my parents made it back to Spain safe I started feeling better little by little. The week after they left I had people calling about hiring them. I guess they left a little too early. We have skyped many times and talk on the phone almost every other day. With the holidays done and a new year begun my parents said that they are ready to return back. We hope that this spring will be better especially for my dad and that they can adjust a little better to the American culture. If not we will have to make sure that we take a trip to Spain every year to visit them.

3 comments:

  1. it is true that they would have to adapt to the american culture, which is very different from the spanish one. we wish we could move to Spain, life is more relaxed, cheaper and more fun there compared to UK.

    my mom on the other hand was in states and she hated it. she only liked being in LA, probably because it is more of a big city than a stuck in the middle of nowhere type of place.

    would be nice if you guys could visit Spain every year. such a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Livia nu stiam ca au plecat. Imi inchipui ca ti-a fost greu. Poate va fi mai bine a doua oara! :-) Succes! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intr-adevar e greu si la mine tot la fel pentru tata mai ales. Daca nu ar fi copiii de care e super atasat ca doar i-a crescut eu fiind la servici ar fi plecat de mult. Ma doare sufletul sa stiu ca nu e chiar fericit pe deplin dar ce pot face? Si el se chinuie cu engleza si nu gaseste slujbe. Ma rog pentru voi toti sa vina si sa fie mai bine a doua oara.

    ReplyDelete